Punjab Cabinet minister and comedian Navjot Singh Sidhu has been sacked from 'The Kapil Sharma Show' after his controversial comments on Pulwama terror attack.
"The channel has started has already started with the process of removing Navjot and will replace him with Archana Puran Singh," said the source.
"The channel has told the production house to sack Sidhu. It's not a temporary thing. They are going to get him out. In fact, even in the past, during the #MeToo movement, when there were allegations against Anu Malik, the channel took a stand. The channel has shot a couple of episodes with Archana Puran Singh," a source said.
However, the actress spoke to ANI saying that she has already shot for two episodes of The Kapil Sharma Show which are yet to be aired. But those episodes were just a temporary replacement of Navjot Singh Sidhu as the politician was busy. She has denied the reports of being approached to replace Sidhu in the show permanently and would think about the offer if approached.
Reacting to the Pulwama terror attack, which left 40 CRPF personnel killed, Sidhu's comments drew flak from various quarters.
"For a handful of people, can you blame the entire nation and can you blame an individual? It is a cowardly act and I condemn it firmly. Violence is always condemnable and those who did it must be punished," Sidhu had said during a media interaction on Friday.
The former cricketer's comments were met with harsh criticism and since then social media has been flooded with posts demanding his exit from The Kapil Sharma Show. Fans threatened to boycott the show if Sidhu was not fired. The hashtag #BoycottSidhu also started trending on Twitter soon after his comments.
This is not the first time Sidhu has landed himself in soup for his soft stand on our neighbouring country.
Earlier in November, Sidhu was criticised after Khalistani leader Gopal Singh Chawla posted a photograph with the Congress leader on social media.
The Congress leader had also grabbed headlines for extending a hug to the Pakistani Army Chief at Imran Khan's oath-taking ceremony as the Prime Minister of Pakistan, in August 2018.
In one of the deadliest terror attacks, a Jaish-e-Mohammed suicide bomber, on Thursday, rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into a Central Resrve Police Force (CRPF) bus in Pulwama district, killing over 40 jawans and leaving many critically wounded.
More than 2,500 Central Reserve Police Force personnel, many of them returning from leave to rejoin duty in the Valley, were travelling in a convoy of 78 vehicles when they were ambushed on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway at Latoomode in Awantipora in south Kashmir around 3.15 pm.
Pakistan-based terror group Jaish-e-Mohammed (JeM) has claimed responsibility for the attack that took place about 20 km from Srinagar.