- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- A Bayleaf
- 6 cups Water
- 500 gm Hilsa Fish
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- Salt & Chilli as per taste
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 4 tbsp Peanuts, roasted, ground
- Cut the Hilsa fish into half inch thick steaks.
- Wash and semi dry the basmati rice.
- Grind the ginger, onions and garlic to a paste.
- Mix the onion-ginger-garlic paste and a little salt and marinate the fish for 1 hour.
- Heat the ghee in a pan until very hot.
- Reduce heat and fry the green cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon and bayleaf till they are fragrant.
- Add the fish and marinade and fry for another 3 minutes.
- Lower heat, add half a cup of hot water and cook for another few minutes on moderately high heat. The water should have evaporated and the fish cooked.
- Remove the fish and set aside. Leave the gravy in the pan.
- Add rice to the pan and cook on high heat until it changes color.
- Add 3 cups of hot water, salt and stir well. Let it come to the boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10-12 minutes. The rice should be almost done but still moist.
- Remove the rice and butter the pan well. Layer it with rice and fish alternately beginning and ending with rice. Cover with a tight fitting lid. bake the pulao in a preheated oven (300°F/150°C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita and salad.
Tip: Grill fish to remove excess fat and add flavour.