- 1 Whole Chicken
- 6 Red Chillies
- 4 Peppercorns
- 4 Cloves
- 1 inch piece of Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 4-6 Cloves Garlic
- 1 inch piece of Ginger
- 1 large Onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Oil
- Water Enough to cover up the chicken
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp Tamarind juice
- Cut the chicken in fairly large pieces. Wash and apply salt to chicken and set aside.
- Grind together the red chillies, peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, garlic and ginger into a fine paste.
- In a vessel, heat in 2 tbsp of oil. Put in the chopped onions and fry till they are golden brown. Put in the masala and fry for 2 minutes. Put in the chicken mix well and then add the water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer till the chicken is cooked. Put in salt to taste and tamarind juice. Stir well and let cook for additional 5 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves.
Tip: Roast diced onions, carrots, and celery in the pan right along with chicken. With the vegetables cooked down and flavored with the meat juices, you've the base for a wonderful gravy.