- 2 cups of parboiled Rice
- 4 Onions
- 6 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Kala Jeera
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup Arhar Daal
- A piece of Ginger
- 8 flakes of Garlic
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 4 cups of minced Mutton
- Apply the grounded masala to the minced mutton and leave for about 3-4 hours.
- Wash the daal and soak in two cups of water for an hour, then add 1 tsp salt and boil until cooked.
- Heat 4 tbsp ghee and fry the sliced onions until crispy.
- Add a little more ghee and fry the marinated mutton, when fried to a brown color, add half cup of water and cook on a slow flame.
- When water is absorbed mix the mutton with the cooked daal.
- Pound cumin seeds, kala jeera and mix with the garam masala.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a large vessel and put 1/3 of the cooked rice, over it put half mixture of mutton, sprinkle fried onions and pounded spices.
- Repeat the layers ending with rice, sprinkle fried onions and pour ghee over it.
- Put the dish in an oven so that the rice gets properly cooked.
Tip: Roast diced onions, carrots, and celery in the pan right along with meat. With the vegetables cooked down and flavored with the meat juices, you've the base for a wonderful gravy.