- 2 cups of parboiled Rice
- 4 Onions
- 6 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tsp Kala Jeera
- Salt as per taste
- 1 cup Arhar Daal
- A piece of Ginger
- 8 flakes of Garlic
- Coriander leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Garam Masala
- 4 cups of minced Mutton
- Apply the grounded masala to the minced mutton and leave for about 3-4 hours.
- Wash the daal and soak in two cups of water for an hour, then add 1 tsp salt and boil until cooked.
- Heat 4 tbsp ghee and fry the sliced onions until crispy.
- Add a little more ghee and fry the marinated mutton, when fried to a brown color, add half cup of water and cook on a slow flame.
- When water is absorbed mix the mutton with the cooked daal.
- Pound cumin seeds, kala jeera and mix with the garam masala.
- Heat 2 tbsp ghee in a large vessel and put 1/3 of the cooked rice, over it put half mixture of mutton, sprinkle fried onions and pounded spices.
- Repeat the layers ending with rice, sprinkle fried onions and pour ghee over it.
- Put the dish in an oven so that the rice gets properly cooked.
Tip: Don't salt meat before you cook it. The salt forces the juices out and impedes browning. Instead, salt meat halfway through cooking, then taste when the meat is done and adjust the salt as needed.