- 8-10 Apples
- 150 gms Butter
- A piece of Cinnamon
- 200 gms Castor Sugar
- 250 gms Shortcrust pastry
- Put the butter and sugar on a pie pan. Put this pan on the stove. Mix these two ingredients with a wooden spatula.
- Prepare a brown caramel. Beware not to let it darken too much, your pie would become bitter.
- Peel, seed and cut the apples in slices.
- Put the apple pieces on the cold caramel.
- Squeeze them together.
- If you have some apples left, cut them in smaller pieces and put them on top. Add cinnamon.
- Roll out the shortcrust pastry to 3-4 mm thickness, and give it a round shape with a slightly larger diameter than the pan.
- Cover the apples with the dough.
- Fold the edges inside the pan.
- Bake in a warm oven (180-200°C or 356-392°F) until the crust is completely baked.
- The crust is almost baked and the caramel starts to leak on the sides.
- When finished, take the pie out of the oven.
- Cover the pan with a larger one, and unmold the tatin when still warm.
Tip: To avoid breaking and crumbling, cool bar cookies and cakes completely before cutting.