- Salt to taste
- 1 Lemon, juice
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- Pepper to taste
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 2 flakes of Garlic, chopped
- 750 ml Fish stock or Water
- 3 Tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 kg assorted Fish (with some shellfish like mussels, prawns)
- Heat the oil in a saucepan, toss in the garlic and onion and lightly saute until clear, making sure not to brown.
- Add the lemon juice, tomato and fish stock or water. Break the fish into bite sized pieces and add to the saucepan. Do not add the shellfish at this stage. Simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- From the saucepan, strain the liquid from the stock into a pot. Remove the flesh from any fish bones and skin, and return it, with the vegetables to the stock.
- Now add the shellfish, simmer for 5 minutes, season and serve.
Tip: If you run out of breadcrumbs for cutlets and fried fish, you can use crushed cornflakes or fine, sieved semolina.