- 1 tsp Salt
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 500 gm Curd
- 1½ kg leg of Lamb
- 1 tsp ground Cloves
- 2 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Tandoori paste
- 50 gm bottled Beetroot
- 1 tsp ground Cinnamon
- 2 tbsp chopped Mint leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped Coriander leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4. Trim all the fat and membranes off the leg of lamb then make a number of small gashes in the flesh.
- Put all the remaining ingredients in a food processor and grind to a paste.
- Line a roasting tin with foil. Coat the lamb liberally all over with the spicy paste, using about half the mixture.
- Loosely cover the lamb with more foil and roast in the centre of the oven for about 2 hours.
- Remove the foil and spread the lamb with about half the remaining spice paste and roast for at least a further hour. The flesh should fall off the bone.
- Remove the lamb from the oven and keep aside.
- Put the remaining spice paste in a saucepan with a little water, salt and garam masala. Simmer for about 3 minutes.
- Carve the lamb, pour the gravy over it and serve hot.
Tip: Grill meats to remove excess fat and add flavour. Instead of sauteing meats in stews and braised dishes, grill them to remove fat and save on clean-up.