- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- Dash of Cloves
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 3/4 cup Brown sugar
- 3 tbsp all purpose Flour
- 6-8 medium Pears, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- ½ cup Buttermilk
- 3 tbsp Butter, melted
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1 cup all purpose Flour
- Light Cream, if desired
- 1 tbsp Sugar, if desired
- Combine all of the filling ingredients, except pears, in large skillet.
- Stir in sliced pears. Cook over medium heat about 5 minutes, or until hot and bubbly, stirring gently. Set aside.
- To make topping, place flour, sugar, baking powder in mixer bowl and mix it (for about 30 seconds).
- Add buttermilk and melted butter and mix about 30 seconds, or just till blended.
- Pour hot filling into 8-or 9- inch baking pan. Top evenly with large spoonfuls of topping. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 375°F for 30 to 35 minutes, or until pears are tender and bubbly and topping is golden brown.
- Serve warm with light cream, if desired.
Tip: Always strain sugar or jaggery syrups before adding to sweets, so that the muddy grains do not taste like grit in the sweet dishes. Allow the grit to settle below before straining.