- 1 Egg
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 1½ cups Flour
- ½ tsp Baking powder
- 1½ tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ cup Butter softened
- ½ cup Chocolate chips
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened Cocoa
- 300 gm Maraschino Cherries
- Drain maraschino cherries, reserving 1 teaspoon juice.
- Put butter and sugar in medium bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed 3 to 4 minutes, or until well blended.
- Add egg and vanilla; mix well.
- Combine flour, cocoa, salt and baking powder; add flour mixture to butter mixture. Beat until well mixed.
- Put chocolate chips and milk in a small saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, over low heat until chocolate melts.
- Stir in reserved maraschino cherry juice. Let cool slightly.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Place on an ungreased baking pan.
- Push in center with your thumb; spoon 1 teaspoon chocolate mixture into each thumbprint and top with a cherry.
- Bake in a preheated 350-degree oven 10 to 12 minutes, or until cookies are firm.
- Remove to wire racks. Let cool completely. Store in an airtight container.
Makes about 3 dozen
Tip: If using glass baking pans instead of metal ones, reduce the oven temperature by 25º F.