- 2 tbsp Oil
- 3/4 cup Rice
- 5 cups Water
- 2 tsp tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1 cup Coconut Milk
- ¼ tsp Red Pepper flakes
- 2 cups crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Green Pepper, chopped
- ¼ tsp Ground Black Pepper
- ½ cup chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 kg medium Shrimp, shelled and cut in half horizontally
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat.
- Fry chopped onions, green pepper and crushed garlic in heated oil until golden.
- Add the rice, red-pepper flakes, salt, crushed tomatoes, and water to the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until the rice is almost tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir the coconut milk into the soup. Bring back to a simmer and then stir in the shrimp.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the shrimp are just done, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the black pepper, lemon juice, and coriander.
Tip: If you like fish as white as popcorn, add lemon juice or milk to the liquid you cook it in.