- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Curd
- 2 tsp Ajwain
- 2 cups Maida
- 4 tbsp Melted Ghee
- 8-10 tbsp Warm Water
- A pinch of Baking powder
- Ghee or Oil for deep frying
- ½ tsp Black Peppercorns, coarsely cracked
- Mix the maida, salt, cracked peppercorns, ajwain and baking powder in a bowl.
- Add the ghee and rub between your palms until it takes the form of breadcrumbs.
- Combine the curd with water and and form a pliable but firm dough using this liquid. Cover with the damp cloth and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into small balls and roll out all the balls.
- Heat the oil / ghee in a deep-frying pan.
- Fry the rolled mathris over moderate heat. Do not allow the rounds to become brown, they should remain pale gold in color.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
Tip: A very stale loaf of bread can be considerably freshened by dipping it in milk or water (or a mixture of the two) for about a minute. After this, put it into the oven to crisp for about fifteen minutes.