- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 1 tbsp Besan
- 250 gm Flour
- Oil for deep frying
- 150 gm Khoya
- 100 gm Castor Sugar
- ¼ tsp Cardamom seeds
- 100 gm Dried fruits, chopped
- 250 gm Sugar
- 250 ml Water
- ½ tsp Kesar, soaked in 1 tbsp water
- Sieve the flour and besan. Rub ghee into the flour with fingertips. Add little water. Knead well until dough is smooth.
- Cover and chill for fifteen minutes.
- Mix khoya, dried fruits, castor sugar and cardamom seeds for the filling.
- For kesar syrup dissolve the sugar in the water and boil for about 5-7 minutes. Stirr in kesar and liquid.
- Make equal sized balls of the dough and roll them into a round shape, about 4" in diameter.
- Place a tsp of filling in the centre. Seal the dough.
- Fry kachoris over a slow flame in hot oil. When golden, drain.
- Break the top of the kachories and pour in 1 tbsp saffron syrup before serving.
Tip: Adding a cupful of grated carrot or beetroot to the coconut while making burfi will give you "natural" colouring and nutritional benefits.