- 1 cup Sugar
- 9 Egg Yolks
- 1½ cups Milk
- 2 ripe Mangoes, sliced
- 1½ cups Heavy Cream
- In a medium heavy-bottom saucepan, combine the milk, cream and 1 tbsp of the sugar. Bring just to a scald.
- Meanwhile, put the remaining sugar and the egg yolks in a large bowl and whisk just to blend. While gently whisking the yolks, drizzle the hot cream mixture into them so that they are gradually warmed up.
- Return the mixture to the saucepan and set over medium-low heat. Cook, stirring with a wooden spatula, until the mixture has thickened slightly and coats the back of the spoon.
- Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl and nestle it in a larger bowl of ice. Cool, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, purée the mangoes in a food processor. Whisk the mango purée into the cooled custard.
- Transfer to an ice cream maker and freeze according to the instructions. Transfer to a storage container and freeze until firm.
Makes: One quart
Tip: When ice cream is rock-hard, dip the scoop in hot water to make scooping easier.