- 4 Eggs, separated
- 175 gms Strawberries
- 100 gms Castor Sugar
- 250 ml Double cream
- 6 tsp Powdered Gelatine
- Few drops of Vanilla Essence
- Mint leaves
- 2-3 Sliced Strawberries
- For the Sauce
- 1 tsp Arrowroot
- 25 gms Icing Sugar
- 100 gms Strawberries
- Puree the strawberries. Transfer in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks and castor sugar until pale and thick enough to leave a trail when the whisk is lifted.
- In separate bowls, whip the cream to soft peaks and whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold the cream and then the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture. Fold 5 tbsp of the egg mixture into the strawberry puree. Stir vanilla essence into the remaining egg mixture.
- Sprinkle the gelatine over 6 tbsp of warm water in a bowl and set aside to soften for a few minutes. Then stir and place over a pan of warm water to dissolve.
- Fold 4 tbsp of the gelatine mixture into the vanilla egg mixture and stir the remainder into the strawberry puree mixture.
- Pour half of the vanilla mousse mixture into a 1.2 lts. round mould and swirl in half the strawberry mixture. Add the remaining vanilla and strawberry mixture and swirl again. Chill for 1 ½ - 2 hours.
- Make the sauce; puree the strawberries, shake the arrowroot into 1 tbsp water and stir into the puree. Add the icing sugar and stir over a gentle heat and glossy and slightly thickened. Allow to cool. Unmould the mousse, slice and put on serving plates.
- Surround with sauce. Feather in the cream, using a cocktail stick. Decorate with strawberries and mint leaves.
Tip: To intensify the sweetness of any dish,add a pinch of salt.