- 2 Oranges
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Sugar
- 20-25 Almonds
- ˝ cup Orange juice
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- ˝ cup Sugar
For the caramel:
- Wash and soak rice for 30 minutes. Drain and then put to boil in 2 cups of water, to have it half cooked.
- Boil sugar in 1˝ cups of water for 5 minutes. Add rice followed by orange juice and mix gently. Cover and cook until rice becomes tender.
- Peel oranges and cut the rind into thin strips. Sauté these slightly in butter and mix into the rice.
- Peel the thin skin off the orange segments and mix the segments into the rice, reserving a few for decoration.
- Caramelise sugar over medium flame and add almonds. Pour onto a greased steel plate to allow to set. Once set, crush it coarsely.
- Serve the orange rice hot, decorated with the orange segments and caramelised almonds.
Tip: Before cooking rice, if you soak it in water with two teaspoons of salt, it will increase its whiteness and prevent the rice from breaking.