- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¼ cup Peas
- Salt to taste
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Onions, chopped
- 3 cups Basmati Rice
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- ½ cup Tomato puree
- ¾ tsp Turmeric powder
- 10-12 Cauliflower florets
- 3 cups Fenugreek leaves
- 3 Green Chillies, chopped
- ½ cups Desiccated Coconut
- 3-4 Whole Red Chillies, dried
- Fried Cashewnuts for garnishing
- Rub a little salt into the fenugreek leaves and put aside for 1 hour. Wash well and squeeze out all excess water.
- Pick, wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain well before using.
- Grind together, onion, desiccated coconut and green chillies to a paste.
- Heat oil in a saucepan, add bay leaves and fry for a minute. Add onion paste and fry further until golden in colour.
- Mix-in turmeric powder, tomato puree, peas, cauliflower florets and methi leaves. Stir fry well for about 15 minutes.
- Add 6 cups of water, salt alongside rice and bring to a boil. Cover and cook until the rice gets cooked.
- Remove from flame but leave it covered for another 5 minutes. Add garam masaala.
- Serve hot, garnished with cashewnuts, accompanied by raita.
Tip: Before cooking, rinse the rice several times, until the water comes out clear. This removes any starch and residue, otherwise the rice may be sticky.