- 4 Cloves
- Salt to taste
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 5 cups Water
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 4 Green Chillies
- 1 piece Ginger 2”
- ½ tsp Kala Jeera
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 cup Mint leaves
- ½ tsp Chilli powder
- 4 Black Cardamom
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- 3 Onion, finely sliced
- 1 Tomato, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Coriander leaves, chopped
- 750 gms Chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- Wash and soak the rice for 30 minutes. Drain water and put aside.
- Boil chicken pieces with cinnamon, cloves, black cardamom, ginger and a little salt in 5-cups of water. Cook until just tender.
- Remove from fire, strain and reserve the chicken pieces and stock separately. Discard whole spices alongwith ginger piece.
- Heat ghee, fry sliced onion until golden brown. Add green chillies, chicken pieces, chopped tomato, chopped coriander leaves and mint leaves.
- Saute until light brown, add chilli powder, garam masala, salt and kala jeera.
- Measure 4 cups of stock into a heavy saucepan. Add strained rice alongwith chicken and bring to a boil.
- Cover and cook over medium flame until the liquid gets absorbed.
- Serve piping hot alongside raita as an accompaniment.
Tip: To make thick gravy for chicken grate the onions, squeeze out their juice. Fry the onions and the masala. Add the juice as stock, after the onions are brown.