- 4 Cloves
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 3 tsp Ghee
- ˝ cup Curd
- 750 gms Mutton
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 6 Black Cardamoms
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- Salt according to taste
- 2 tbsp Ginger, chopped
- A pinch of Mace powder
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves, chopped
- A pinch of Kesar, soaked & crushed in a little milk
- Boil rice in plenty of water until just tender but not fully cooked. Drain & keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add cinnamon, black cardamoms & cloves. Sauté onions until light brown.
- Add the mutton & sauté until golden brown.
- Add salt, chilli powder and curd. Add 3 cups of water and simmer until the mutton is almost cooked.
- Remove the cooked mutton from the gravy & spread in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle half the cream, mint, ginger & mace powder over the meat.
- Place half of the rice over the mutton. Sprinkle the strained mutton gravy, rest of the cream, melted ghee & kesar over the rice.
- Place rest of the rice on top. Cover the dish with a tight fitting lid & seal the sides.
- Place in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove & serve piping hot.
Tip: Don't salt meat before you cook it. The salt forces the juices out and impedes browning. Instead, salt meat halfway through cooking, then taste when the meat is done and adjust the salt as needed.