- 4 Cloves
- 4 tbsp Oil
- 3 tsp Ghee
- ˝ cup Curd
- 750 gms Mutton
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp Chilli powder
- 6 Black Cardamoms
- 2 cups Basmati Rice
- Salt according to taste
- 2 tbsp Ginger, chopped
- A pinch of Mace powder
- 2 Onions, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Mint leaves, chopped
- A pinch of Kesar, soaked & crushed in a little milk
- Boil rice in plenty of water until just tender but not fully cooked. Drain & keep aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add cinnamon, black cardamoms & cloves. Sauté onions until light brown.
- Add the mutton & sauté until golden brown.
- Add salt, chilli powder and curd. Add 3 cups of water and simmer until the mutton is almost cooked.
- Remove the cooked mutton from the gravy & spread in an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle half the cream, mint, ginger & mace powder over the meat.
- Place half of the rice over the mutton. Sprinkle the strained mutton gravy, rest of the cream, melted ghee & kesar over the rice.
- Place rest of the rice on top. Cover the dish with a tight fitting lid & seal the sides.
- Place in a hot oven for 15-20 minutes. Remove & serve piping hot.
Tip: Sprinkle a bit of salt in the frying pan before adding meat. It will cut down on the amount of grease splattering.