- 1 cup Curd
- ½ cup Cream
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1½ kg leg of Lamb
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1½ tbsp Garlic paste
- 1½ tbsp Ginger paste
- 1½ tsp Garam Masala
- Salt according to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Black Pepper powder
- 1 tsp White Pepper powder
- 1½ tbsp Raw Papaya, ground to a paste
- ¼ tsp Saffron, soaked in a little warm milk
- Make deep gashes in the raan.
- Mix the raw papaya paste, lemon juice and salt and rub this mixture all over the raan. Leave aside for 2 hours.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients & rub this paste all over the raan & into the gashes. Leave to marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
- Cook in a preheated oven, 350°F, for 1½ hours or until raan is tender.
- Turn once to brown on both sides. Cut into slices & serve hot.
Tip: Don't salt meat before you cook it. The salt forces the juices out and impedes browning. Instead, salt meat halfway through cooking, then taste when the meat is done and adjust the salt as needed.