- ½ cup Milk
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Saffron threads
- 2 Cinnamon sticks
- ¼ cup Caster Sugar
- 1 tbsp flaked Almonds
- 8 slices stale White Bread
- 6 Cardamom pods, bruised
- 375 ml can Evaporated milk
- 1 tbsp chopped shelled Pistachios
- Cut bread slices into rounds.
- Heat half the ghee in a large pan; cook half the bread rounds until browned both sides. Repeat with remaining ghee and rounds.
- Arrange rounds, overlapping slightly, in shallow 1 litre ovenproof dish.
- Combine evaporated milk (homogenized milk from which 60% of the water is removed), milk, spices and sugar in large pan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved then simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain into small bowl.
- Pour milk mixture over bread rounds, sprinkle with nuts; stand for 30 minutes.
- Bake uncovered in moderate oven about 15 minutes or until browned lightly.