- 3 tbsps Ghee
- 4 Curry leaves
- 1 litre Hot Water
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 170 gms Kishmish
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 200 gms Arhar Daal
- 2 tsps grated Ginger
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- Salt according to taste
- ½ tsp ground Turmeric
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 2 pods of Garlic, crushed
- 75 gms Cashewnuts, toasted
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- 150 gms Onions, finely chopped
- 300 gms Basmati rice, washed, drained
- Place daal in a small bowl, cover with cold water; soak 1 hour. Drain well.
- Heat ghee in medium pan, cook onion, garlic, chillies, ginger, spices, leaves and salt, stirring, until onion is browned lightly and mixture fragrant.
- Add daal, rice, kishmish and water; but then immediately simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, discard cinnamon, stir in juice, stand, covered, 5 minutes, just before serving, stir in cashewnuts.
Tip: If a teaspoon of lime juice is added to rice while it is boiling, the grains will separate and look pure white.