- 4 Cloves
- 3 tbsp Ghee
- 250 ml Curd
- ½ Chilli Powder
- 800 gms Onions
- 1.2kg Lamb, diced
- 400 gms Tomatoes
- 2 tbsps Mint leaves
- 1 tbsp grated Ginger
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1½ tsps Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp ground Turmeric
- ½ tsp Cardamom seeds
- 1 tbsp ground Coriander
- 5 pods of Garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsps chopped Coriander leaves
- Finely slice half the onions. Heat half the ghee in large pan; cook onions until browned lightly. Remove from pan; reserve.
- Finely chop remaining onions Heat remaining ghee in same pan, add onions, garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until onions are browned lightly.
- Stir in chilli powder and all spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Stir lamb into spice mixture; add curd gradually, in about 6 batches, stirring well between additions.
- Add crushed tomatoes; simmer; covered, 1½ hours. Remove cover; simmer about 30 minutes or until lamb is tender.
- Just before serving, add reserved onions, herbs and garam masala, stir until heated through.
Tip: Don't salt meat before you cook it. The salt forces the juices out and impedes browning. Instead, salt meat halfway through cooking, then taste when the meat is done and adjust the salt as needed.