- 4 Cloves
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Green Chillies
- 4 pods of Garlic
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 400 gms Tomatoes
- 60 ml Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp grated Ginger
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 2 tsps Garam Masala
- 2 tbsps Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 300 gms Onions, sliced
- 1 Cardamon pod, bruised
- 1 tsp ground Cumin, extra
- 500 gms Spinach, chopped
- 1.5 kg French trimmed Lamb shanks
- Blend or process garlic, chillies, ginger, cumin and oil until pureed.
- Spread chilli mixture all over the lamb shanks; cover; refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat ghee in large pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned lightly.
- Add bay leaves and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add lamb, cook, stirring, until lamb is just browned.
- Boil, steam or microwave spinach until just wilted; drain.
- Blend or process spinach, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste until pureed.
- Add to lamb mixture. Simmer, covered, for 1¼ hours. Remove cover; simmer 30 minutes or until lamb is tender and sauce is thickened.
Tip: While the flavor of meat marinated in wine will continue to improve with time, do not marinate foods in lemon or lime juice for more than the time specified. The citric acid will turn the meats gray.