- 1 tbsp Ghee
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 8 Curry leaves, torn
- 250 ml Boiling Water
- 1 tbsp Ginger, grated
- 1 tsp ground Turmeric
- 2 tsps Coriander seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1.25 litres Chicken stock
- 2 pods of Garlic, crushed
- 300 gms Onions, chopped
- 2 tsp Black Mustard seeds
- 400 gms Potatoes, chopped
- 2 tbsp Tamarind concentrate
- 2 dried Red Chillies, chopped
- Tiny pinch Asafoetida powder
- 1 kg Spinach, rougly chopped
- 100 gms Coconut Milk powder
- 200 gms Masoor daal (Red Lentils), rinsed, drained
- Cook cumin and coriander seeds, stirring, in dry frying pan until fragrant. Blend to process, untill crushed.
- Heat ghee in a large pan, cook onions, ginger, chillies, leaves, mustard and fenugreek, stirring, until onions are browned lightly.
- Add crushed spices, turmeric and asafoetida, cook stirring, 1 minute.
- Add that potatoes and stock to pan; bring to boil then simmer, covered, about 15 minutes or untill potatoes are tender. Stir in spinach, cook 2 minutes.
- Using a handheld mixer, blend soup mixture until pureed.
- Add tamarind and blended coconut milk powder and water, stir until soup is thoroughly heated through.
Tip: Do not roast poultry in a oven temperature lower than 325 degrees. Poultry should be roasted at 325 degrees or higher to avoid potential food safety problems.