- 6 tbsp Ghee
- 1.2 litres Milk
- 50 gms Sultanas
- 4 tbsp Dark Brown sugar
- 25 gms Slivered Almonds
- 25 gms Pistachios, slivered
- 50 gms Dates, stoned and slivered
- 115 gms Vermicelli, coarsely broken
- Few Saffron threads
- Heat 4 tbsp of the ghee in a frying pan (skillet) and saute the vermicelli until golden brown. Remove and set aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee and fry the nuts, sultanas and dates until the sultanas swell. Add to the vermicelli.
- Heat the milk in a large heavy pan and add the sugar. Bring to the boil, add the vermicelli mixture and boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the vermicelli is soft and you have a fairly thick pudding. Fold in the saffron powder and serve hot or cold.
Tip: To prevent the milk kheer for sticking to the bottom of the vessel, drop a coin in the vessel while the kheer is boiling.