- 225 gms Besan
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- ½ cup Chilli Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt, according to taste
- 2-3 Onions, finely sliced
- 50 gms Coriander, chopped
- ½ tsp Fennel, coarsely crushed
- ½ tsp Cumin, coarsely crushed
- Vegetable Oil, for deep-frying
- 2 Green Chillies, finely chopped
- ½ tsp Kalonji, coarsely crushed
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, chilli, turmeric, baking powder, asafoetida and salt to taste. Pass through a sieve (strainer) into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the coarsely crushed seeds, onion, green chillies and fresh coriander and toss together well. Very gradually mix in enough cold water to make a thick batter surrounding all the ingredients.
- Heat enough oil in a wok for deep-frying.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown. Leave enough space to turn the bhajias. Drain well and serve hot with chutney.
Tip: To allow free flow of sauce from a sauce bottle to a pourer, insert a drinking straw half way, into the bottle and hold it there lightly with one hand while pouring with the other.