- 1 Onion
- 1 Clove
- ¼ tsp Basil
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1/3 cup Flour
- ½ cup Cream
- 5½ cups Water
- 1 Chicken cube
- ½ tsp minced Garlic
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 250 gms unshelled Prawns
- Wash prawns thoroughly and devein them.
- Heat 5 cups of water in a medium saucepan, and add prawns. Bring to a boil and lower heat. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Remove from flame. Strain liquid and reserve. Shell and devein prawns.
- Chop onion finely. Crush garlic and chop deveined prawns finely.
- In a large saucepan, heat butter.
- Add onion, carrot and garlic and fry on medium flame for 3 minutes.
- Add prawn stock, basil, chicken cube, salt, and tomato puree. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer uncoverd for 5 minutes.
- Remove from flame and blend in batches in a mixie until smooth.
- Return to flame.
- In a bowl, mix flour and 1/3 cup water into a smooth paste. Add to soup, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil and allow soup to thicken.
- Lower heat and stir in cream and half the prawns. Heat gently for 5 minutes without allowing the soup to boil.
- Serve hot garnished with remaining prawns.
Tip: Place a "bed" of celery and onions under fish when baking. Besides adding flavor, it will prevent the fish from sticking.