- 2 tbsp Oil
- 175 gms Chana Dhal
- 1 Onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala
- 275 gms Fresh Spinach
- ½ tsp Coriander powder
- 2 Pods of Garlic, crushed
- ¼ tsp Black Mustard Seeds
- 1 Red Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 Piece of Ginger, 1" long, grated
- ½ tsp Salt
- Wash the dal in cold water. Put into a bowl and cover with water. Leave for 30 minutes.
- Drain the dal and put in a saucepan with 175 ml fresh water. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer or 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the mustard seeds for 2 minutes, until they began to splatter.
- Add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli and fry for 5-6 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for 10 minutes, or until the spinach is dry and the liquid has been absorbed. Stir in the remaining spices and salt and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the chana dal peas, add to the spinach and cook for about 5 minutes. Serve at once.