- 2 Cloves
- 1 tsp Salt
- 750 ml Water
- 1 Green Cardamom
- 450 gms Basmati Rice
- 3 tbsps Semi-Skimmed milk
- ½ tsp Crushed Saffron strands
- Wash the rice at least twice and place it in a medium saucepan with the water.
- Toss all the whole spices into the saucepan along with the salt. Bring to the boil, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the saffron and semi-skimmed (25%) milk in a small pan and warm. Alternatively, put the ingredients in a cup and warm for 1 minute in the microwave.
- Now return to the rice to see if it is fully cooked. Use a slotted spoon to lift out a few grains and press the rice between your index finger and thumb. It should feel soft on the outside but still a little hard in the middle.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully drain the rice through a serve (strainer).
- Transfer the rice back into the pan and pour the saffron and milk over the top of the rice.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place the pan back on a medium heat for 7-10 minutes.
- After cooking, remove the pan from the heat and leave the rice to stand for a further 5 minutes before serving.
Tip: Keep rice safe from vermin by adding a few neem leaves and turmeric bits in the tins and mixing with the rice.