- 4 Cloves
- 600 ml Water
- 2 Black Cardamoms
- 4 Green Cardamoms
- 8-10 Saffron Strands
- 10 Black Peppercorns
- Salt according to taste
- 2 Garlic pods, crushed
- 1 medium Onion, sliced
- 1 piece Cinnamon stick, 5cm
- 1 piece Ginger, 5cm, crushed
- 450 gms Basmati Rice, washed and drained
- 900 gms Chicken pieces or Lean Lamb, cubed
- 175 gms Sultanas and Blanched Almonds, sauteed
- In a large saucepan, cook the chicken or lamb in the water with the cardamom pods, peppercorns, cloves, onion and salt until the meat is cooked.
- Remove the meat with a slotted spoon and keep warm. Strain the stock if you wish, and return to the saucepan.
- Add the rice, saffron, garlic, ginger and cinnamon to the stock and bring the contents to the boil.
- Quickly add the meat and stir well. Bring back to the boil, reduce the heat and cover. Cook covered for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with sultanas and almonds and serve.
Tip: Meat drippings and broths should be frozen for later use in spaghetti sauce, soups, stews, sauces, or gravies.