- 1 tsp Sugar
- 4 Garlic pods
- 4 Curry leaves
- ¼ tsp Asafoetida
- 1½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 6 tbsps Vegetable Oil
- 2 tbsps Tomato puree
- Salt according to taste
- 450 gms Small New Potatoes
- 4 tbsps Thick Tamariand juice
- Fresh Coriander sprigs to garnish
- 25 gms Dried Red Chillies, Preferably Kashmiri
- Boil the potatoes until they are fully cooked, ensuring they do not break. To test, insert a thin sharp knife into the potatoes. It should come out clean when the potatoes are fully cooked. Drain well.
- Soak the chillies for 5 minutes in warm water. Drain and grind with the cumin seeds and garlic to a coarse paste using a pestle and mortar or food processor.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan. Fry the paste, tamarind juice, tomato puree, curry leaves, salt, sugar and asafoetida until the oil separates. Add the potatoes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Garnish and serve.
Tip: Once an onion has been cut in half, rub the left over side with butter and it will keep fresh longer.