- 675 gm Tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 4 Spring Onions (scallions), chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garlic Pulp
- 1 tsp Crushed Black Peppercorns
- 2 tbsp Chopped Fresh Coriander (cilantro)
- 750 ml Good 3 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Cornflour (cornstarch)
- 1 Spring Onion (scallion), chopped (optional)
- 2 tbsp Single (light) Cream (optional)
- To skin the tomatoes, plunge them in very hot water, then take them out more or less straight away. The skin should now peel off quickly and easily. Once this is done chop the tomatoes.
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil and fry the chopped tomatoes, bay leaf and chopped spring onions (scallions) for a few minutes until soft.
- Gradually add the salt , garlic, peppercorns and fresh coriander (cilantro) to the tomato mixture ,finally adding the water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Dissolve the cornflour (cornstarch) in a little water.
- Remove the soup from the heat and press through a sieve (strainer).
- Return to the pan. Add the cornflour and stir over a gentle heat for about 3 minutes until thickened.
- Pour into individuals serving dishes and garnish with the chopped spring onion and cream, if using. Serve hot with bread.
Tip: Always simmer soups, never boil them.