- 1 cup Urad Dal
- 1 Green Chilli, chopped
- ½ tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- A pinch of Asafoetida (Hing)
- ½ tbsp Raisins
- 8-9 Cashews, chopped
- 650 gms Curd
- 1 tsp Chaat Masala or as required
- ½ tsp Red Chili powder or as required
- 1 tsp Bhuna Jeera powder
- Salt as per taste
- Water for grinding the batter or as required
- Rinse the Urad dal for 3-4 times in water. Soak the dal in enough water overnight or for 4-5 hours.
- Drain and add the dal in a wet grinder, also add chopped green chilies, chopped ginger, cumin seeds & hing.
- Add water in intervals and grind to a smooth batter.Take the ground batter in a bowl.
- For more light and fluffy batter stir the batter briskly for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped cashews along with salt. Stir and keep aside.
- Heat a kadai or pan with oil for deep frying. When the oil becomes medium hot, add spoonfuls of the batter in the oil.
- Fry and turn the vadas till they become golden and crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- In another bowl take water and add the vadas to the water. Soak them for 18-20 minutes.
- Take each vada and flatten and press between your palms to remove excess water. Place these vadas in the serving bowl.
- Whisk curd till smooth. Pour the curd over the vadas.
- Top with the green chutney and tamarind chutney as required.
- Sprinkle the red chili powder, roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and salt. Garnish dahi vada with chopped coriander leaves and raisins.
- Serve dahi vada immediately or refrigerate and serve later.
Tip: If you run out of breadcrumbs for cutlets, you can use crushed cornflakes or fine, sieved semolina.