- 4 Cloves
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4 Green Chillies
- 4 pods of Garlic
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 400 gms Tomatoes
- 60 ml Tomato paste
- 1 tbsp grated Ginger
- 1 tbsp ground Cumin
- 1 tsp ground Nutmeg
- 2 tsps Garam Masala
- 2 tbsps Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp ground Coriander
- 300 gms Onions, sliced
- 1 Cardamon pod, bruised
- 1 tsp ground Cumin, extra
- 500 gms Spinach, chopped
- 1.5 kg French trimmed Lamb shanks
- Blend or process garlic, chillies, ginger, cumin and oil until pureed.
- Spread chilli mixture all over the lamb shanks; cover; refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.
- Heat ghee in large pan; cook onions, stirring, until browned lightly.
- Add bay leaves and spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant.
- Add lamb, cook, stirring, until lamb is just browned.
- Boil, steam or microwave spinach until just wilted; drain.
- Blend or process spinach, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste until pureed.
- Add to lamb mixture. Simmer, covered, for 1¼ hours. Remove cover; simmer 30 minutes or until lamb is tender and sauce is thickened.
Tip: Meat drippings and broths should be frozen for later use in spaghetti sauce, soups, stews, sauces, or gravies.